May 29th 2020
March 31st saw the end of another financial year at Goedhuis but under very different circumstances to 12 months earlier. Our offices in Bermondsey Street lay empty and our IT upgrade over the last year seemed even better value for money as we seamlessly moved to working from home. How we take IT for granted until it either goes wrong or something like Covid-19 strikes…
2019/20 has been a topsy-turvy year after a cracking start with the 2018 Bordeaux En Primeur campaign. Autumn was more subdued as the General Election, Brexit, trade wars, tariffs and the HK situation all had an impact. We started 2020 with a very successful Burgundy En Primeur campaign and we finished the year with a flurry of home deliveries to keep you all topped up during lockdown.
In summary 2019-2020 was a year with a doubling of Bordeaux En Primeur sales, continued growth in Burgundy En Primeur, slightly reduced broking sales and strong sales growth in Italian (31%), Spanish (78%) and South African wines.
‘Top of the Drops’
– At No.1 and the Bryan Adams ‘I do It for You’ of the wine world – red Bordeaux sales were up 14% and accounted for 42% of sales
– At No.2 and, like Amy Winehouse never quite having reached No. 1, was red Burgundy
– White Burgundy remained in bronze position
– Up to 4 from 5 – Italian sales up 31% as mentioned above
– Champagne slips back (and down a treat) to 5
– Shooting up the charts but from a low base is Spain. Surely not a one hit wonder like the Macarena, so get involved.
– And finally, a new entry with a 10,598% increase in sales comes ‘Spirits in the Sky’
– Top Château by sales was Château Lafite Rothschild
– Top Château by volume was Château Meyney Cru Bourgeois Exceptionel St Estèphe
– 42,053 bottles sold
– Average price per bottle of £101
And more generally
– Highest selling Chateaux by value: Château Mouton Rothschild just pipped Château Lafite Rothschild this year
– Highest selling Domaine by value: Domaine Ponsot
– Highest selling producer by volume: Will anyone ever be able to displace Ch St Baillon Côtes de Provence Rosé? Fair play to Ch Léoville Barton in second place
As ever we are hugely grateful to all our clients for supporting us this last 12 months and for the way you continue to refer us to friends, family and colleagues. Finally, I would like to say a very big thank you to Octavian and all the staff there who have miraculously remained open throughout lockdown and kept us all well stocked and lubricated.