En Primeur | St Aubin
Due west of Puligny and Chassagne lies the little, picturesque village of St. Aubin. It was one of the last appellations created in only 1970 but has since created an excellent reputation for good value well made Burgundy that can replicate Puligny. In recent years quality has been soaring and St Aubin is getting the attention it rightly deserves.
"Isn’t it amazing how Saint-Aubin used to be given short shrift, so much so that 19th century Burgundy mavens like Camille Rodier or Dr. Lavalle hardly mentioned it. Now it is seen as the more affordable Puligny-Montrachet. Personally, I think that is damning it with faint praise because irrespective of price, the best climats such as En Remilly, La Chatenière or Derrière Chez Edouard can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Puligny Premier Crus. Skilled growers like Olivier Lamy, Damien Colin... are giving Saint-Aubin momentum, plus its slightly cooler microclimate advantages it in warmer summers so that the best wines combine steeliness with counterbalancing richness.” Neal Martin
For more information please contact your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org
Size Qty Price Price (Inc VAT) Stat
St Aubin 1er Cru Les Castets Marc Colin
6x75cl 8 £183.00 EP
Goedhuis, December 2020
Les Castets is a stony south facing vineyard. The 2019 shows an intense mineral grip reflecting the influence of the soil. From relatively young vines, this is a bright energetic style, with a rewarding, racy finish.
Neal Martin, December 2020,
The 2019 Saint-Aubin Les Castets 1er Cru has an inviting and complex bouquet, a mélange of citrus lemon, lime, white chocolate and even a hint of praline. The palate is a little richer than expected and yet the weight is counterbalanced by the acidity. Just a little toastiness, almost sesame-like towards the long and vibrant finish. Very fine. 2022-2036
Wine Advocate, Janauary 2021,
Opening in the glass with hints of pear, pomelo, crisp green apples and fresh pastry, the 2019 Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Castets is medium to full-bodied, fleshy and chiseled, with tangy acids and fine length on the finish. It's produced from a south-facing, stony site.
Matthew Jukes, December 2020,
Really energetic, rather grand and determined on the palate, there is serious depth here and lashings of freshness, too, making this a rather toothsome and challenging wine. Nicely appointed this is a clever creation for those wanting to dodge Chassagne prices.
Jasper Morris MW, December 2020,
Damien feels that the soil in Castets is equally suited to red or white grapes. Pale colour, starts gently, then the white fruit fills out very nicely across the palate, even some tannins behind. An attractive, moderately fleshy St Aubin. 3 stars
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.