Maison Louis Jadot
Founded in 1859 by Louis Jadot, Maison Louis Jadot has always been situated in the centre of Beaune in the heart of the Burgundy vineyards. Managed by three generations of the Jadot family and then by the Gagey family assisted by Jacques Lardière in the cellar, Jadot is now directed by Pierre Henry Gagey, who has introduced a new wine making team, Frédéric Barnier and Guillaume Large. Since careful ageing in wooden barrels is so very important for the balance, aromas and the ageing potential of a great wine, in 1996, Louis Jadot entered into partnership with a firm of coopers, forming Cadus Cooperage, established in Ladoix Serrigny. This allows them to control their wood sourcing and the barrel production. Maison Louis Jadot now controls 105 hectares in Burgundy with more than 70 hectares in the Côte d'Or, exclusively in Premier and Grand Cru. They produce both negociant wines under the Maison Louis Jadot label and a number of Domaines: Gagey, Duc de Magenta, Louis Jadot and Héritiers de Louis Jadot.
The Grands Crus of Corton, a red made from Pinot Noir, and Corton Charlemagne, a white made from Chardonnay are shared between Aloxe-Corton, Ladoix Serrigny and Pernand Vergelesses. The vines for both are planted on the hillsides underneath the plateau of Corton's woodland forest. The majorityof Pinot Noir is planted in the southern and eastern sector where the soil is naturally rich with red iron clay giving additional body and power. Overall, the wines from these areas tend to be fruit forward and fleshy with a balance of round edges and fine concentration.