Burgundy 2018 | Wines of the Week
Our second pair of Wines of the Week are from two of the most famous and well-loved appellations in Burgundy: Chablis and Gevrey Chambertin. Both are great value, terroir-driven and quite simply delicious. Keep reading for our reasons to buy this superb pair of 2018s.
Chablis 1er Cru Montmain Pinson Frères 2018 | £210.00 per 12 IB
Reasons to Buy
- The Pinsons have a knack for producing steely, elegant wines from some of Chablis’ most enviable vineyards.
- The premier cru Montmain gives a precise, ethereal style of Chablis and the 2018 from Pinson Frères is a classic example.
- Awarded 91-93 points by Jasper Morris MW, he comments that the 2018 is “really stylish with excellent length, just a spice or two at the back”.
- Burghound is also impressed: “the attractively textured and rich middle weight flavours possess a caressing but solidly intense palate feel before concluding in a sneaky long and bracingly dry finish”. 89-92 points.
- Excellent premier cru Chablis at just £17.50 a bottle IB.
Gevrey Chambertin Dix Climats Drouhin Laroze 2018 | £320.00 per 12 IB
Reasons to Buy
- Under the brilliant management of Caroline and Nicolas Drouhin this estate is really hitting the high notes. A couple of years ago Neal Martin commented, “Drouhin-Laroze could rapidly be up there with the very best, alongside the likes of, say, Rousseau or Mortet.”
- A truly representative Gevrey Chambertin from ten different vineyard plots (Dix Climats!) at just £26.67 per bottle IB.
- A gorgeous fruit-driven Pinot Noir, packed with dark cherries and wild strawberries, a warming touch of spice and broad ripe tannins.
- Awarded 89-91 points and described as “Crisp and focused, displaying great clarity on the finish” and “Superb” by Neal Martin.
- Matthew Jukes called it “serious value for money and also relatively forward. 17 points”.
These wines are not available online please email or call us for details