Sandrone Barolo 2017
Luciano Sandrone, is one of the most admired names in Barolo. His now 20 hectare estate began over 40 years ago with a tiny plot in Cannubi Boschis. We are delighted to offer the estate's fabulous 2017 vintage.
Many consider Luciano to be a visionary and his children, Luca and Barbara, are now working alongside him and taking the same approach. Throughout its history this hallowed estate has always remained true to the DNA of their vineyards. They practice minimal intervention and, unlike many, use smaller old French oak barrels to deliver precision and maintain the purity and aromatics of the fruit.
For the Sandrone family, the 2017 vintage should not be looked at in the shadow of 2016. Their older vines did brilliantly and were helped by the family's rich wisdom and deep understanding of their terroir. They kept the vineyards cool by keeping more leaves in the canopy of the vines, not only giving protection to the fruit but also keeping the vines cooler in the shade.
Barbara Sandrone feels that: “2017 is a vintage of charm and generosity, but also of intensity.” Like all great producers and vineyards in 2017, the Sandrone family deftly tempered the heat and produced beautiful expressions of their individual sites, retaining the purity and beauty of the fruit, without sacrificing any balance whatsoever.
We are delighted to offer the following wines:
Nebbiolo Valmaggiore 2019 £145.00 6/IB
From a beautiful plot in the Roero where the steep sandy soils impart a soft and elegant structure. Wine Advocate has handed the 2019 93 points and notes that it has "plenty of wild cherry and blue flower [and]...a pretty layer of crushed white peppercorn. You get terrific complexity and a very food-friendly ensemble at a competitive price".
Barolo Le Vigne Sandrone 2017 £480.00 6/IB
This is a multi-vineyard blend from some of the best villages in Piedmont: Vigane in Barolo, Merli in Novello, Villero in Castiglione and Baudana in Serralunga. With vines all over 50 years old, this offers a complex character afforded by multiple sites and very seductive fruit. Antonio Galloni awards 95+ points, saying, “The 2017 Barolo Le Vigne is rich, pliant and so expressive”. All the critics note its gorgeous ripe red fruits, James Suckling 97 points, ‘So seductive”.
Barolo Aleste Sandrone 2017 £580.00 6/IB
This comes from the heart of Barolo and the famous vineyard of Cannubi Boschis. The Cannubi hill is a magical site unique in Barolo and offers great power and richness, due to its elevation, freshness and elegance. The wine became known as ‘Aleste’ in 2013 - in honour of Luciano’s grandchildren Alessia and Stefano, a play on both their names. Awarded 95 points from Antonio Galloni, who says, “The 2017 Barolo Aleste is a dark, ample wine... All the natural power of these parcels come through effortlessly”. While Jancis Robinson MW, says “Still a little embryonic, but sensationally balanced for this challenging year" and awards 17.5 points. James Suckling notes, “The purity and brightness of nebbiolo is so impressive here”. 96 points.
Please note: All wines for delivery from spring 2022.
Size Qty Price Price (Inc VAT) Stat
Barolo Aleste Sandrone Available Later
6x75cl 1 £580.00 IB
6x75cl 1 £712.07 Inc VAT
Antonio Galloni, November 2021,
The 2017 Barolo Aleste is a dark, ample wine. Dark cherry, plum, new leather, spice and licorice bring out darker tones of Nebbiolo. All the natural power of these parcels come through effortlessly. Best of all, the 2017 will drink well with minimal cellaring. Drink 2025-2037.
James Suckling, November 2021,
The purity and brightness of nebbiolo is so impressive here. Strawberries and blue fruit abound. Full-bodied, yet tight and very polished with a long, persistent finish. Very transparent and appealing. Drink 2025+.
Jancis Robinson, November 2021,
Lustrous mid ruby. Still a little compact but already showing great depth of fruit with hints of fresh mint, iron and oatmeal. Gorgeous juicy, full, red fruit with a rich layer of powdery tannins. Still a little embryonic, but sensationally balanced for this challenging year. Drink 2022-2036.
Barolo Le Vigne Sandrone Available Later
6x75cl 1 £480.00 IB
6x75cl 1 £592.07 Inc VAT
Antonio Galloni, January 2021,
The 2017 Barolo Le Vigne is rich, pliant and so expressive. Even so, I imagine it will need a few years to open up fully. Bright red fruit, rose petal, blood orange and spice give the 2017 its distinctly red-toned profile. Elegant and translucent, the 2017 is very nicely balanced. Vineyard sources are Baudana, Villero, Vignane and Merli. Drink 2025-2037
James Suckling, January 2021,
Opulent and very sexy with perfume, cedar, dried flowers and dried strawberries and just a hint of nutmeg. It’s medium to full-bodied with round and finely velvety tannins and a flavorful finish. So seductive. Drink after 2025.
Nebbiolo d'Alba Valmaggiore Sandrone Available Later
6x75cl 4 £145.00 IB
6x75cl 4 £190.07 Inc VAT
ML, June 2021,
The Luciano Sandrone 2019 Nebbiolo d'Alba Valmaggiore is a beautiful expression of this mighty red grape from the north of Italy. The Valmaggiore vineyard in Roero offers a spicy and accessible interpretation with plenty of wild cherry and blue flower. This vintage also offers pretty layer of crushed white peppercorn. You get terrific complexity and a very food-friendly ensemble at a competitive price.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.