2018 Fladgate Vintage Ports Released
Taylor's, Fonseca Guimaraens and Croft Quinta da Roeda
This is a fabulous trio with, as wine maker David Guimaraens points out, the ability to satisfy every port lover.
- If it is longevity you seek, then look no further than the structured powerhouse of Taylors’; it offers refined balance and succulence for the mid to long term.
- The Fonseca Guimaraens has all the hallmarks of a great Fonseca port yet the charm that comes with being a little more approachable in personality.
- Finally, the Croft Roeda reflects a lovely balance with the easy relaxed style that shows the grace of the vintage and the imprint of this beautiful quinta.
In addition to halves, bottles and magnums, we are delighted to offer spectacular double magnums and imperials of Taylor's. All three releases offer superb value for such high quality, high scoring wines - do not hesitate in adding a case or two to your cellar. All wines available for delivery in winter 2021.
2018 Vintage Precis
Following a dry, hot 2017, the ensuing winter failed to bring rain, instead delivering brutally low temperatures. When an abundance of rain finally came in March it was received with welcome arms ahead of the budburst at the end of the month. Steady rainfall continued through to the end of June but crucially didn’t hamper flowering. Although these wetter conditions risked disease, the locations of individual quintas provided vital protection -- hence the careful selection of vineyards for the Fladgate Partnership's declaration.
The arrival of the traditional Douro heat in the first week in August was most welcome, providing the final ingredient to ripen the bunches and berries to optimum quality. When it rolled around in mid-September, harvest started under perfect conditions.
To sum up the vintage, the Douro Superior enjoyed the combination of abundant ground water and hot summer weather conditions essential in producing great vintage port. The finished result is a spectacular trio of wines!
To buy call us on 020 7793 7900 or email email@example.com
Croft Quinta da Roeda Vintage Port 2018
£85.00 per 6 Bottles IB
£90.00 per 12 Halves IB
From the terraced vineyards of this great quinta overlooking the town of Pinhao. This is luscious; full of blackberries and dark fruit compote. It has a silky elegance, with an appealing chewy texture provided by the ripe sweet tannins, characterising the 2018 vintage. A mass of bramble fruit flavours, it is surprisingly approachable and a fine reflection of the more recent style of an earlier drinking vintage port. Drink 2026-2045. Goedhuis & Co
The 2018 Quinta da Roeda Vintage Port has an intense nose of black fruit mixed with raisin, fig, cloves and a touch of boot polish. The palate is well balanced with quite a strict, terse opening, very spicy with black pepper, cloves (again) and bay leaf. Broody at first but opening with time to reveal a very attractive and complex, structured finish with hints of tobacco and smoke. This is a lovely nascent Quinta da Roeda. Drink 2030-2065. 93 points. Neal Martin vinous.com
Sleek in feel, with a mix of raspberry and plum reduction, melted black liquorice and fruitcake notes that stretch out over a graphite edge on the finish. Has good energy from start to finish. Drink 2030-2045. 93 points. James Molesworth winespectator.com
Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port 2018
£115.00 per 6 Bottles IB
£120.00 per 12 Halves IB
£120.00 per 3 Magnums IB
A blend from Fonseca’s three main quintas on the Douro: Panascal south of Pinhao, and Santo Antonio and Cruzeiro north of the town. This is an absolute beauty. I totally concur with David Guimaraens view that the 2018 stands as one of the finest examples of the Guimaraens style in recent years. Dense garnet colour, the initial aromas are of earthy wild berry fruits with a hint of white pepper and spice, just a glorious expression of rich abundant fruit. This is a beauty, reflecting the joyous Fonseca style of vintage port. It is exuberant with a fine volume of fruit, sweet and generous and the richness in character supports the layered leathery tannic core one seeks in a wine of this quality in its infancy. Beautifully balanced with not an inkling of spirit in the palate. A total and utter joy. I love this! Drink 2028-2060. Goedhuis & Co
The 2018 Guimaraens Vintage Port...has a rich and opulent bouquet with black cherries, stewed figs and dates. The palate is sweet and fleshy on the entry with black fruit, tar, desiccated orange peel, Xmas cake and juniper berries. I admire the harmony of this Vintage Port. The firm structure only becomes apparent towards the finish. Wonderful length on the aftertaste, the mouth stained with Port for 60 seconds after. Excellent. Drink 2030-2065. 95 points. Neal Martin vinous.com
Warm, soft-edged and generally open, with a core of steeped plum, blackberry preserve and blueberry reduction flavors leading the way, backed by hints of ganache and licorice root on the finish that add a grippier feel. More bass than treble, but well-packed and should age well. Drink 2030-2045. 94 points. James Molesworth winespectator.com
Taylor’s Vintage Port 2018
£325.00 per 6 Bottles IB
£330.00 per 12 Halves IB
£330.00 per 3 Magnums IB
£237.50 per Single Double Magnum IB (300cl)
£480.00 per Imperial IB (600cl)
The backbone for this outstanding 2018 wine comes from the famed Quinta de Vargellas way up on the Eastern reaches of the Douro valley heading towards Spain. Dark opaque in colour. A very scented wine with hints of violets, dark berry fruits and a touch of dry fig and liquorice. This is an extraordinarily composed wine, with its intense linear structure exuding a feeling of self-confidence. There is a great sense of power without excess, balancing a sweet intensity with a poised tannic core. A little reserved on the finish, but a wine with extraordinary potential. Top of the class! Drink 2030-2070. Goedhuis & Co
It has a classy, aristocratic bouquet, a signature note apropos Taylor’s Vintage: dense black fruit with touches of melted tar, cloves and white pepper. This just builds and builds in the glass. The palate is very harmonious with fine tannins, perfect acidity and very pure with a gentle, almost caressing second half. White pepper interlaces the black fruit with a very precise finish. Pure class. Drink 2032-2075. 97 points. Neal Martin vinous.com
Remarkably harmonious already, with a beautiful display of unadulterated blueberry, blackberry and plum sauce flavors that fan out, while anise, ganache and cassis accents fill in. So lush and seductive through the finish, it’s nearly drinkable. But just wait. Drink 2030-2050. 96 points. James Molesworth winespectator.com
To buy call us on 020 7793 7900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
These wines are not available online please email or call us for details.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.