Offer | Ornellaia 2018 & 2019
Few producers in Italy are more respected than Ornellaia. We are thrilled to announce our appointment as a UK agent of this most prestigious Super Tuscan estate and to launch their stunning new set of releases. This legendary domaine embraces its Mediterranean individuality and has produced a fantastic set of wines with character and finesse, that will not only cellar well but also be a joy to drink.
Le Volte dell’Ornellaia 2019 @ £96 per 6 IB
The estate’s third wine is super-expressive, elegant, mid-weight and utterly delicious from the outset. It’s a gorgeous little wine, delivering an approachable, early drinking 'super-Tuscan' blend, beautifully marrying the softness of Bordeaux’s Merlot, the structure and depth of Cabernet Sauvignon and the beauty and vivacity of Tuscany’s Sangiovese. The 2019 is simply magic. A firm favourite with the Goedhuis team, it continues to offer phenomenal value at under £22 a bottle all in. The newly released 2019 is alive with juicy acidity, supple tannins, and bright red fruit. It is aged for 10 months in barrels previously used for Ornellaia and then concrete tanks, which Estate Director Axel Heinz says helps “obtain the perfect balance between tannic structure and an expression of fresh fruit”. Jane Anson at Decanter Magazine has awarded 90 points. This comes highly recommended.
Poggio alle Gazze dell’Ornellaia 2019 @ £211.61 per 6 IB
Poggio alle Gazze is one of Ornellaia’s outstanding white wines. It is predominantly Sauvignon Blanc alongside Viognier, Vermentino and Verdicchio, blended to create a fragrant, crisp and delicious early drinking white wine, perfect for the summer. The 2019 shows off its Mediterranean beauty with characterful citrus fruit, fresh minerals and startling finesse. A perfect example of just how complex and refreshing an Italian white can be. Once again the critics show what outstanding value this offers, Antonio Galloni at Vinous awarding 92 points and says, “The 2019 Poggio alle Gazze is bright and beautifully sculpted in this vintage. Lemon peel, white flowers, apple and exotic floral notes are nicely delineated. This is an especially perfumed edition of Poggio alle Gazze. Lime, green apple and exotic floral notes lead into the super-expressive finish”.
Ornellaia Bianco 2018 @ £500 per 3 IB (extremely limited, on allocation only)
Their flagship white, the impeccable 2018 Ornellaia Bianco is an exceptionally rare cuvee, only released in tiny amounts. Sauvignon Blanc based and finished with 10% Viognier, it hails from three cool north-facing vineyards that suit the varieties perfectly, ensuring they retain their crisp, fresh aromas. The result is an intensely mineral wine with luxurious rich fruit and enchanting floral notes. It is loved by the critics, Antonio Galloni at Vinous comments, “The 2018 Ornellaia Bianco is a powerful, dense wine. Orchard fruit, chamomile, saline notes and dried flowers open in the glass... A rich white, the 2018 Bianco possesses tremendous weight.”
Ornellaia 2018 'La Grazia' @ £800 per 6 IB (limited, on allocation only)
A superlative wine which already has the critics extremely excited. With 97 points from leading Italian critic Antonio Galloni, 97-98 points from James Suckling and 96 points from Jane Anson at Decanter Magazine, its recent scores are on par with some of the some of the greatest vintages in its history: 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006 and 2004. This Tuscan Bordeaux blend is incredibly seductive. An elegant, but powerful wine, with beautiful, focused aromatics. Its smouldering, dark, fruit-driven core is spectacular, the pure, precise fruit seamlessly knits together with a refined structure and soft, silky tannins.
So, what makes this the market’s darling? It succeeds in delivering the elegance and complexity of a First Growth Claret, combined with gorgeous Italian charm and intensity. Recently Ornellaia has seen the benefits of increased investment, a new winery and the embedding of star wine maker Olga Fusari, now with 4 years at the reins. Olga and Estate Director Axel Heinz have masterminded a veritable renaissance at this estate, ensuring the wines released today are the very best they can be.
2018 is the first time that Merlot dominates the blend (51%) which is completed with Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Petit Verdot (2%). Winemaker Axel Heinz has chosen a nickname: La Grazia (Grace). He feels it reflects the harmonious nature of this vintage and describes it as “a rounded and silky wine in which all the elements blend together in an expression of grace and beauty”. It is a wine of dazzling complexity that will be highly coveted. The final finishing touch is a beautiful, limited edition ‘crown’ label that adorns one bottle in each case, created by Belgian artist Jan Fabre.
Always released at a fair and sensible price, this Super Tuscan superstar offers exceptional drinking and cellaring potential. With Ornellaia’s brand ever strengthening in the market, this estate is one to watch for its exciting future.
We highly recommend these exceptional wines, but please do be quick, we don’t expect them to last long.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or to view the full brochure, please click HERE
Wines are available for UK sale only
These wines are not available online please email or call us for details.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.