Offers | Eden Rift 2017 | Introducing the new limited edition Terraces range
Tipped as one of the hottest upcoming wineries in North America, Goedhuis is proud and excited to have the UK agency for Eden Rift Vineyards. We are delighted to offer you their outstanding range of 2017 releases which have recently landed with us.
Eden Rift is already being noticed by the world’s leading critics, despite its relative youth, thanks to the vision of owner Christian Pillsbury and wine maker Cory Waller, who, together, have breathed new life into this historic estate. Based in the breath-taking Cienega Valley, this is one of California’s oldest estates being under vine since 1849. Lying only 20 miles from the Pacific Coast it has the perfect cool maritime conditions in which Chardonnay and Pinot Noir excel, but what makes this site unique are the soils.
The vines at Eden Rift sit on a vein of chalky limestone, granite and sandy loam, a true rarity in California. This extra dimension layers the wines with a true terroir based character and a gorgeous minerality, something that is so often missing in Californian Chardonnays and Pinots. The wines possess an abundance of complexity, energy, purity and flavour. Like all iconic wines, they naturally express a true sense of place.
Christian was in London last year and walked us through his new releases. First up, his outstanding Estate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. What a delicious introduction, offering excellent value for money. These are highly recommended and are drinking wonderfully now.
- The 2017 Estate Chardonnay @ £33/bt is pure and elegant with beautiful poise, stunning white stone fruit and a mouth-watering minerality. Already awarded 90 points from the Wine Advocate.
- The Estate Pinot Noir 2017 @ £37.50/bt is bursting with fresh pure red fruits. Erin Brooks of the Wine Advocate echoes our thoughts, "very pretty scents of gravel dust, fresh cranberries, strawberry… Such a lovely, lifted style." 91 points.
Then, a step up in class, power and complexity we see the first vintage of the superb Terraces range. Coming from higher altitude and small individual vineyards these are very limited in supply, under 200 cases are made of each.
- The 2017 Terraces Chardonnay @ £42/bt. 91 points Wine advocate. Similar to a top Puligny Montrachet, with lots of chalky minerals, combined with elegant fruit and a deft integration of oak adding layered complexity and gorgeous length.
- The 2017 Terraces Pinot Noir @ £49.50/bt is very Burgundian in style, darker and brooding, yet still fresh and fruit driven. It has a lovely weight and dense dark red fruity mineral core that’s wrapped in velvety sweet ripe tannins. The Wine Advocate sums up brilliantly – ‘Yum!’ 92 points.
These are some of the most exciting new wines we’ve tasted out of California in some time, true terroir-driven wine making. As The Wine Advocate says, ‘ for consumers looking for wines that are as elegant as they are characterful… these are worth your attention’. Eden Rift Vineyards certainly have an amazing heritage and now a very, very exciting future.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.