New Arrival | Domaine Cornin
The best introductions in life come via friends. So, when Romain Cornin from the village of Chaintré in Macon was tipped off by Arnaud Mortet that he should look no further than Goedhuis for a new UK importer, we were delighted to make his acquaintance. History has taught us the best growers only recommend those whose quality ideals match their own. So, it was with great excitement that we requested a selection of wines from Romain and his wife Adeline to taste.
We were not disappointed. We received 6 different cuvées from this fine 10 hectare domaine and in truth we could have chosen them all. After much deliberation we decided an introduction of our two favourites would be best, before expanding into the greater depth of their single vineyard range…
There is so much that makes this domaine special. Romain and his father Dominique are men of the soil, their attitude summed up by Romain’s ambition for the estate, “accomplishing my dream to become a vigneron fills me with a sense of freedom: The freedom to spend my days, as I see fit, in the thick of my vines, true to my father’s work philosophy and his love of the soil. At his side, I aspire to create a wine that reflects who I am and that I enjoy sharing.”
Domaine Cornin is something of a rarity in the Maconnais, being an organic practitioner since 2000. Their ideology is to show to all the true expression of both the fruit and the soil in their wines. Whilst oak is used in the Pouilly Fuissé their desire is for it to have minimal impact and the Macon wines are carefully aged on their lees in cuves to preserve their brightness and freshness.
These wines are a total joy, sourced from some of the oldest vineyards in the region. There is complete respect to individual terroirs and they have an excitement to them, fresh and bright but also juicy and warming. As William Kelley of The Wine Advocate says, “This is a serious estate and Romain Cornin’s commitment to his vineyards is just as evident as his diligence in the cuverie and cellar." We think the introduction of Domaine Cornin’s 2019s will mark the start of a long and happy relationship.
Size Qty Price Price (Inc VAT) Stat
Macon Fuissé Les Bruyères Dominique Cornin
12x75cl 7 £139.89 IB
12x75cl 7 £200.00 Inc VAT
Goedhuis, May 2021
This fine Macon highlights that quality can be also achieved from younger vine vineyards. The parcels that go into this cuvée have all been planted this century and the wine is a joy. Charming aromas of white peach and fuchsia. This is all about charm and elegance, it is naturally approachable. A wine that receives no barrel aging, it has a lively crispness of fruit, with flavours of satsuma and the layer of limestone-like minerality give a long and fulfilling finish.
Pouilly Fuissé Dominique Cornin
6x75cl 10+ £103.28 IB
6x75cl 10+ £140.00 Inc VAT
Goedhuis, May 2021
Selected from aged vineyards planted between 1909 and 1965 in Fuissé. This is a wonderful example of the bright mineral purity of fruit that is the hallmark of the domaine and the delightful opulence that is Pouilly Fuissé. Striking lemon citrus aromas, with layers of scented white stone fruits and a hint of fresh double cream. This has a graceful breadth that coats the mouth and is full of life and energy. The flavours have a touch of tropical fruits, though always subtle, and the overall clarity of this wine shows the great class of the appellation.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.