Offer | Le Serre Nuove dell'Ornellaia 2019
We are proud to work directly with Ornellaia, the benchmark Super Tuscan estate, and today sees their final release of the year: one of the most thrilling, sought-after second wines we know, Ornellaia’s ‘little brother’, the much-anticipated: 2019 Serre Nuove at £228.00 per 6 bottles IB.
It is widely known that in some vintages Serre Nuove can rival Ornellaia itself. It consistently offers phenomenal value leaving most collectors to covet this “baby Ornellaia”. As Decanter states: “Le Serre Nuove is arguably the ‘business card’ for Ornellaia, offering an insight into how the grand vin might age… In top vintages, the differences between Le Serre Nuove and its bigger brother are truly minimal”.
Only two critics have tasted so far; James Suckling who awards it 95 points calling it, “polished” and a “very solid and well-crafted second wine”, and Wine Advocate’s Monica Larner gives it 94 points, the highest score it has ever been awarded and on a par with the excellent 2016, 2011 and 2006 vintages. The 2019 vintage in Bolgheri is a return to a more classic profile and the Serre Nuove shows soft tannins, intricate structure, and generous, enveloping fruit.
While the great second wines of the Bordeaux First Growths are now out of many collectors’ reach, Le Serre Nuove always offers excellent value and regularly outscores its Bordeaux peers. As Larner comments, the 2019 shows a huge amount of “focus” and “detail” compared to previous vintages. She notes, “The results are linear and pure” with, “Elegant fruit notes... which add to the thick layering of the wine.”
The 2019 Le Serre Nuove is beautifully crafted, deeply complex and holds sensational pedigree. Winemakers Axel and Olga lavish as much care on the Serre Nuove as they do on the Grand Vin: precision sorting means only the most perfect grapes are retained and it sees a luxurious 18 month elevage in 25-30% new oak. At £38 per bottle IB it deserves to be in everyone’s cellar.
- Bolgheri, Italy
- Cabernet Franc / Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot
- 2023 - 2033
- Case size
- Available Now
Wine Advocate, May 2021,
A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, the 2019 Bolgheri Rosso Le Serre Nuove dell’Ornellaia shows a greater degree of focus and detail compared to the previous vintage that I tasted at the same time. This wine reveals the sharp contours and etched character of the Cabernet Franc, especially with black licorice and black pepper. The results are linear and pure. Elegant fruit notes of blackberry and dark currant add to the thick layering of the wine. I tasted this sample not long after bottling, and we can expect the wine to hit the market in September 2021. Drink 2022-2033.
James Suckling, August 2021,
Currants, sweet tobacco, walnut husk and flowers on the nose. Medium-to full-bodied, it grows on the palate, with firm yet polished tannins and a flavorful finish. Very solid and well-crafted second wine from Ornellaia. Drink after 2023.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.