Goedhuis Recommends | August 2021
It seems that, finally, summer has arrived and so have some new vintages of our most beloved drinking wines.
Our August recommendations are guaranteed to meet the needs of any summer scenario: be it scorching heatwave or the more typical slightly subdued British summer sunshine and showers! They are wines we adore for their terrific quality and value.
Pouilly Fumé Tradition des Loges Marc Deschamps 2020. Pouilly Fumé is often less floral than Sancerres from across the river, we love this sophisticated and beautifully textured example from the brilliant Marc Deschamps. The fresh lemon, grapefruit, and blackcurrant leaf nose of the newly arrived 2020 is backed by a razor-sharp acidity and tingling minerality. It is perfect for a summer’s day.
Bramito del Cervo Castello della Sala Antinori 2020. The great Antinori family, responsible for such famous Super Tuscans as Tignanello, Solaia and Guado al Tasso, make this tantalising Chardonnay from a picturesque Medieval castle in Umbria. The clay and fossil rich soils delivers a wine of exquisite depth and minerality. The 2020 has just landed and is scented with peach, waxed lemon, white flowers and hazelnuts. Textured, juicy and creamy with a crisp, crackling acidity, it will carry you to the rolling hills of the Umbrian countryside.
Ataraxia Chardonnay 2020. We are delighted to welcome the latest vintage of Ataraxia, a cool climate Chardonnay from the Hemel-en-Aaarde in South Africa. Neal Martin describes Ataraxia as "one of South Africa’s benchmark Chardonnay producers”. Chiselled and racy, the 2019 has a wonderful nose of fresh lemons, smoke, crushed rocks, hazelnuts and sea spray. It is bright and energetic with a mineral streak running through. It is impressively focused and the thoughtfully integrated oak gives texture and depth. Ideal for a long, lazy lunch.
Domaine de L'Ile Porquerolles Côtes de Provence Rosé 2020. A revelation for us and a new wine to our list, we now simply couldn’t envisage summer without a chilled glass of Domaine de L'Ile, the glamourous Provençal estate now owned by the Chanel team. This organic rosé is as breath-taking as the Mediterranean island paradise on which it is made.
Fleurie Clos de la Roilette 2020. When the sun’s edge begins to soften, we recommend reaching for an ever-so-slightly-chilled bottle of good Beaujolais. Our all-time favourite is this delicious Fleurie from the Coudert family and we are so pleased to see the 2020 land on our shores. Grown on the region’s famous granite soils, it is aromatic, fresh and perfectly perfumed with kirsh cherries, juicy damons and violets. It is summer in a glass.
Le Volte dell'Ornellaia 2019. The third wine of Ornellaia the obvious choice to reach for on a warm summer’s evening. This entry-level super Tuscan delivers well beyond its price point and is an expertly constructed Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese. As our MW David Roberts rightly puts it, “The 2019 is simply magical and a firm favourite with the Goedhuis team thanks to its juicy acidity, supple tannins, and bright red fruit’’.
Ch Paveil de Luze Cru Bourgeois Margaux 2012. As the night draws in on your perfect summer’s day, reach for an ever reliable, delicious Margaux from a massively underrated vintage. We bought a small parcel of this wine after it left us wanting more at a tasting. Comprised of a gorgeous left bank blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Merlot, it encapsulates Margaux perfectly: elegant, finessed and sensually perfumed. It is drinking perfectly now.
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.