En Primeur | Volnay
A red wine appellation only, wines from Volnay might be considered the most revered of southern Burgundy. They have been celebrated since the 18th century for their delicacy. But they are not fruit forward like those of Beaune or Chorey Lès Beaune nor have the brooding structure of Pommard. Instead, they have superb linearity, focus and poise while sheathed in velvety tannin. This slightly reticent personality comes out even more with a bit of age, though some can be approached very young. There are no Grand Cru vineyards, but there are some excellent Premier Cru examples including Volnay Les Champans and Volnay Les Caillerets.
For more information please contact your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org
Size Qty Price Price (Inc VAT) Stat
Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets Jean-Marc Bouley
6x75cl 1 £450.00 LIMITED
Goedhuis, December 2020
Thomas says Caillerets is to Volnay what Les Amoureuses is to Chambolle Musigny: a Grand Cru in all but name. He destalked all the fruit in 2019 to allow the pure fruit flavours of this fine vineyard to fully express themselves. Beautifully bright with red berry fruits, this is fresh and vibrant, with a touch of mineral drive. Great length.
Volnay 1er Cru Les Mitans Benjamin Leroux
6x75cl 4 £288.00 LIMITED
Goedhuis, December 2020
Mitans derives from the old French for middle or centre and this cru lies at the foot of the slope just beneath the village proper in the heart of the appellation. The soil here is fine clay, and the wine is often less tannic than some others from Volnay. Always a standout wine in Ben’s cellar, this is a gorgeous cuvée with an impression of sloe and damson. Silky, generous and deliciously refined on the finish.
Neal Martin, December 2020,
The 2019 Volnay Les Mitans 1er Cru has an elegant bouquet of red cherries, crushed strawberry and light crushed rock aromas that become more floral with aeration. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition, the tiny proportion of whole bunch imparting a soupçon of pepperiness toward the finish. Very fine. 2023-2038
Jancis Robinson, October 2020,
Just racked to tank. Very transparent crimson. Great delicacy. Real undertow of interest. Broad and sweet with some undergrowth notes underneath. Drink 2025-2038
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.