En Primeur | Domaine Charles Audoin 2019
The appellation of Marsannay, the most northerly commune in the Côte de Nuits, has many similarities to St Aubin in the Côte de Beaune. St Aubin unfairly stands in the shadow of Chassagne Montrachet, despite many of Chassagne’s great names owning vineyards within the commune. Likewise, Marsannay was once tarred with the same brush, regardless of many of the winemaking elite from Gevrey Chambertin owning plots in the appellation. Attitudes have rightly changed in recent years and today it is even negotiating with the authorities for some vineyards to be credited with Premier Cru status.
Rugby-loving Cyril Audoin is an ardent proponent of the commune and one of the new generation to invest time and money into driving the appellation’s quality and reputation upwards. A new cuverie enables him to vinify parcel by parcel, and his wines always reflect their terroir beautifully. Volumes are particularly small in 2019, but Cyril’s wines have a taut intensity and brightness, and are outstanding in both quality and value.
For more information please contact your account manager or email@example.com
Size Qty Price Price (Inc VAT) Stat
Marsannay Clos du Roy Charles Audoin
12x75cl 2 £270.00 EP
Goedhuis, November 2020
This vineyard, like Les Longeroies, is in the north of the commune, on hard Comblanchien limestone. The style is normally quite powerful, but in 2019 it has produced a beautifully rounded broad, rich wine. Pure, fresh flavours of cranberry and pomegranate flow into a lovely sweetness of fruit on the finish. Delicious.
Burghound, January 2021,
A more deeply pitched nose speaks of plum, dark currant and warm earth. As the low yields would suggest, the middle weight flavors are very concentrated with excellent mid-palate density along with ample minerality on the caressing but powerful finish that is so saline that it's borderline salty. Impressive quality though note that at least some patience will be necessary. Outstanding Top value. Drink: 2027+
Wine Advocate, January 2021,
The 2019 Marsannay Clos du Roy offers up aromas of cherries and wild berries, complemented by hints of wintergreen, warm spices, peonies and raw cocoa. Medium to full-bodied, lively and concentrated, with an enveloping core of fruit, velvety tannins and lively acids, it will offer a broad drinking window.
Jasper Morris MW, August 2020,
Deep in colour, with some wood reduction when tasted from a recent barrel. When tried from an older barrel it was still deep purple, but now it is all about the fruit, good acidity, some density at the back. Good length. 3 Star
- IN BOND prices exclude UK Duty and VAT. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries. Duty and VAT must be paid before delivery can take place.
- RETAIL prices include UK Duty and VAT. Wines for UK delivery can only be purchased this way.
- Duty Paid wines have been removed from Bond and cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. These wines must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- En Primeur wines can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.
- IB: In Bond. These wines have had no UK Duty or VAT paid on them. Wines can be purchased In Bond for storage in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse, or for export to non-EU countries.
- DP: Duty Paid. Wines for immediate UK delivery must be purchased Duty Paid. VAT is payable on Duty Paid wines. Wines which have been removed from Bond cannot subsequently be returned to Bond. They must remain Duty Paid but can be purchased as such for storage subject to VAT.
- EP: En Primeur. These wines are lying in the Domaines’ cellars until shipping. They can only be purchased In Bond. On arrival in the UK these wines can either be stored In Bond in Private Reserves or another bonded warehouse or delivered directly to you. When you decide to take delivery, Duty and VAT at the prevailing rate become payable.