2018 Mas de Daumas Gassac Blanc Vin de Pays de l'Hérault

Mas de Daumas Gassac Blanc Vin de Pays de l'Hérault
Colour
White
Producer
Mas de Daumas Gassac
Region
Vin de Pays de l'Herault, Rhone & Southern France
Grape
Chardonnay, Viognier, Petit Manseng
Drinking
2021-2027
Case Size
3x150cl
Available Now
2018 Mas de Daumas Gassac Blanc Vin de Pays de l'Hérault
Colour
White
Producer
Mas de Daumas Gassac
Region
Vin de Pays de l'Herault, Rhone & Southern France
Grape
Chardonnay, Viognier, Petit Manseng
Drinking
2021-2027
Case Size
3x150cl
Available Now

In Bond
Case price

£165.00 (Ex. VAT)

Qty
(1 in stock)

Need help? Call +44 (0)20 7793 7900 or email wine@goedhuis.com.

Tasting Notes

Goedhuis, October 2018

90% of the blend is made up of Viognier, Chardonnay, Petit Manseng, and Chenin. The remaining 10% is a mysterious blend of rare local varieties that thrive on the rough scrubland soils. Early picking and blocking malolactic fermentation means the estate always guard the natural freshness of these varieties grown on the patchwork of vineyard parcels scattered over the wild hills. Fermented and raised in stainless steel. The wine always drinks well from youth.

Producer

Mas de Daumas Gassac

In the 1970s, a Parisian glove manufacturer named Aimé Guibert was looking for a calmer life. He purchased property at the bottom of a valley that was once an ancient Gallo-Roman settlement. Surrounded by thick, garrigue scrub and glacial, mineral-rich earth, it seemed a perfect site for viticulture...that is, to Bordeaux oenologist Henri Enjalbert. He convinced Aimé to plant grapes and with the help of oenologist extraordinaire, Émile Peynaud, he began producing wine. Despite their southern France location, they have a markedly unique micro-climate. Housed in a deep valley, cool air is drawn down from the mountains, particularly in the summer evenings, creating extraordinary, daily temperature swings ranging from 0 - 30'C. As a result, they are able to grow a plethora of varieties successfully from both cool and warm areas including Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier and Petit Manseng for the white and Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Pinot Noir and Tannat for the red - all the while attaining excellent ripeness while retaining the varieties fresh acidity. With their extraordinary terroir and determination, they have over the years established a reputation as the "Grand Cru of the Languedoc". Anyone who has tasted them would most likely concur. These are truly exciting wines worth discovering.

Region

Vin de Pays de l'Herault, Rhone & Southern France

Originally intended to denote simple country wines that showed broad regional characteristics, the Vin de Pays category now includes many shining stars that fall outside the strict appellation regulations. Herault is a Departmental Vin de Pays covering the region surrounding Montpellier on the Mediterranean coast of France. Largely producing red wines from the classic southern grape varieties (Grenache, Syrah, Carignan, etc), a few rosés and whites can also be found. The most celebrated wines from the area, both with a cult following, are Mas de Daumas Gassac and La Grange des Peres.

Fine Wine Storage

Fine Wine Storage

Impeccable storage
with Private Reserves

Find Out More
All Our Current Offers

All Our Current Offers

Wines for immediate drinking and for laying down

See more
Wine Broking

Wine Broking

Talk to our expert team about broking or selling your wine

more info